Saturday, February 5, 2011

God's Answered Prayers About A Job....

In September of 2010 I highlighted this verse in my Bible: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts." Hebrews 4:7
Next to the verse I wrote "If God's calling you to something, obey!" I then listed out several areas in my life where I felt like He was calling me to action. Adoption, a possible career in ministry, to write a book about our adoption journey and to live a more radical life for Him. I felt like He was asking me to depend more on Him and less on money and the things of this world.
The one item on that list that really had me confused was "a possible career in ministry." I do not have a theology degree and by no means do I know the Bible as well as I should, but I really felt this deep desire to be in ministry. Although I had no idea what that would entail or what exactly I was supposed to do to make it happen.
In October of 2010 I took a job as creative writer with Tate Publishing. I was super excited about the opportunity and I even wrote a book. I also had the chance to begin writing my book about our adoption (another item on my list) BUT just a few weeks into the job I knew it wasn't for me. I don't do well sitting at a small desk in silence all day, never interacting with people. I also learned pretty quickly that although I love to write, I do not enjoy writing books - especially when people want to write books about crazy things like Jesus and vampires. The three months that I was at Tate were pretty miserable. I constantly had to remind myself that I needed to be thankful that I had a job, but I will be honest....I had a really rotten attitude during those three months. There were days when I just wanted to quit. I had lunch alone every single day during those three months and would often cry in my car on my lunch breaks. I had a deep desire for a job that I would love going to everyday. The same thought continued to pop into my head - a job in ministry, a job working with people.
Hello January 2011! I finally decided there was no way I could sit at a desk and surf the Internet any longer. I had to have some human interaction. So I started searching for jobs (which is a very intimidating task when you really have no idea what it is you're supposed to be doing).
I remembered my pastor telling me about some possible job openings at the City Rescue Mission so I emailed one of the guys who worked there and also goes to our church.
Next thing I knew I had an interview. Less than a week later I had a job offer.
I accepted a job as Volunteer Coordinator for the mission. I will also be helping out a bit with public relations. I totally stole this description of my job from Seth. He is the current volunteer coordinator who has been training me. He describes our job like this: "Our goal as volunteer coordinator is to connect people. Sick people with well people, hurting people with happy people, loving people with lonely people. It's a beautiful experience, come be a part of it."
It all boils down to this....This job is really ALL ABOUT JESUS!
City Rescue Mission is a nonprofit organization that has served the homeless living in Oklahoma City for more than 50 years. They have saved many lives and have had a profound impact on thousands of others by providing compassionate, humanitarian services to those in desperate need.
Thursday was my first day at City Rescue Mission and I'm just in awe of how God works. He answered my prayers and heard the cries of my heart. I am working in a ministry position. I am having to rely on Him more and money less since I took a pay cut. I have only been there two days and the people are amazing! My first day on the job, Seth invited me to go to lunch with him and another one of the guys who works there. Each morning we have Chapel, which consists of praise and worship and a devotion. At some point I will get to lead some of the devotions. I have also signed up to be a mentor to a young woman staying at the mission. 
This is not a story I could have written for myself - only God! Yesterday during chapel, the lady leading the devotion said "God has a purpose for you being exactly where you are."
I can't wait to find out all that God has planned for me through this job.

4 comments:

  1. AMEN-- That is truly amazing. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful testimony. God is SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you're loving your job! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this! What a blessing to feel like you are exactly where God wants you to be! xoxo

    ReplyDelete