Thursday, February 17, 2011

Drum Roll Please.....

“I’ll make a way; I’ll do whatever it takes, even though it won’t be easy. I have a plan and though you may not understand, today I’ll make a way” ~Natalie Grant


In July I was heartbroken, overwhelmed and defeated when John and I were told that a big portion of the funding for our adoption was no longer available. I remember sitting on my porch crying, unsure of how we were going to come up with the $25,000 we needed to adopt from Ethiopia.

God had made it very clear in January of 2010 that we were supposed to adopt but we had no idea how we were going to come up with so much money. There were months where we were doing good just to get our bills paid.

Seven months later I am in awe of my awesome God! The first fundraising goal we set was to raise $18,000 – guess what??? WE HAVE REACHED OUR GOAL!

After selling 75 dozen Africa shaped cookies, organizing a golf tournament in just a few short months, having a garage sale, selling cookie jars at Christmas, cupcakes for Valentines Day and through many, many generous donations from people we know and even some that we don’t know, we have reached our first goal!

Only God! I am fighting back tears as I type this – that my God cares so much about my babies that He is providing every penny we need to bring them home! Wow!

Here are a few things that I have learned over the past few months:

1. God funds and provides for His calling in our lives. When He whispers to your heart to adopt or to step out in faith in some other area, He WILL provide the resources you need to accomplish what He is asking you to do.

2. God uses the people you least expect to help you. We have been so blessed by people we hardly know throughout this adoption journey. In our minds we thought we knew the people who would help and support us on this journey. In all honesty, the people who have helped us have not been the people we thought it would be. The people God has chosen to use has just blown me away. Imagine the shock when my sister’s childhood friend (who I haven’t seen in probably 15 years) donated $200 to our adoption fund. Once again…Only God!

3. Not everyone agrees with adoption fundraising but I have no doubt that this is how God intended for us to come up with the money because He wanted other people to be His hands and feet and support something that is near and dear to His heart – the orphan, adoption. Not everyone is called to adopt, but everyone is called to help the fatherless.

4. I’ve learned that even if I don’t have a lot of money (and I really do it I compare myself to the rest of the world), I can always give something. I know how much it can hurt to have people you are close to not reach out to help, to not offer encouragement. I pray that I will always have an open hand. Even if I can only give $10, then I want to give $10 to help the people who need it – whether it is family, friends or a total stranger. I can do something – even if it’s just promising to pray or encouraging people on their journeys.

So what’s next?? We still need to come up with $10,000 to cover our two trips to Ethiopia. The good news is we have about a year to do this. We will be hosting the Hearts for Adoption Dinner and Silent Auction in April with some of our close friends to help raise money for our travel. I will also be revealing a giveaway here on the blog in the next few days. You’ll have a chance to participate in a fundraiser and be entered to win some great prizes.

I can honestly say that I am not a bit worried about this remaining $10,000. God provided the money we needed to cover the adoption fees and I know He will get us to Ethiopia (twice).
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to our adoption fund. We are so glad that God chose each of you to be a part of our journey.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing. What an AWESOME God we serve! He WILL provide!!! I've loved being on this journey with you, can't wait to see who God has hand picked for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THank you for posting this. The Lord has used your adoption journey in our lives. We have been praying for your fundraisers and we are so thrilled to see that you are almost there! Its also encouraged me in knowing that when it is time to begin our adoption journey, fundraising is a great way to involve others and bring our little one home. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley -
    It just thrills my heart that God has used our journey to encourage you. He WILL provide all that you need when it's time for you to adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer.... I am so full of happiness for you and John! We love you guys and are just thrilled that you have met your first goal! GOD DOES provide when it's His calling! You are right...and we will all continue to see that moving forward. We are just excited to see what's next! Love having you both as friends!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete