Wednesday, August 4, 2010

God's Provision - A Lesson From Abraham....

I just love how God works! When He gives you just what you need at the exact moment you need it. Here are a few of my God moments from this week: a card from a friend, 49 dozen cookies sold for our adoption fund, the perfect lesson on God's provision, the courage (and the right words) for a tough conversation and lunch with a new friend.
Last night during my quiet time, I was so excited about what God showed me (and I still am!).
I was reading the story about Abraham and how he was willing to sacrifice his only son Issac when God asked him to (Genesis 22:1-18).
Hebrews 11:17-19 says " By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, even though God had said to him, 'It is through Issac that your offspring will be reckoned.' Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead and figuratively speaking, he did receive Issac back from death."
Even though Abraham knew God hadn't fulfilled His plan for Issac, he trusted God and was obedient when He asked him to sacrifice his son.
Genesis 22:5 says "He (Abraham) said to his servants, 'Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you." Genesis 22:8 says that Abraham told Issac "God will himself provide the lamb for the burnt offering my son."
And guess what??? God did! He provided a ram to be used in the sacrifice.
Abraham KNEW that God would provide! Although Abraham thought God would just raise Issac from the dead, he trusted that God had the perfect plan.
Here's what the author of my Bible study had to say:
"Isn't it interesting that Abraham was wrong about the process but right in concept? He was wrong about the details but right about the fact that God would provide. God honored his faith, never giving thought to Abraham's superfluous errors of how it would happen...Abraham believed God to be a God of provision." ~Kelly Minter
Do you see why I got so excited about this lesson?? John and I are walking a road similar to Abraham - we know that God has called us to adopt from Ethiopia. We thought most of the funding was available and now it's not. But God will still provide! God's provision for the adoption isn't happening like we initially thought it would but it's going to! God will honor our faithfulness and obedience. We must pray for the faith of Abraham.
Whew! I am tired just typing this! It PUMPS me up! God is Jehovah-Jireh - "The Lord Will Provide." He provided this lesson just when I needed it and He will continue to provide at each step of this journey.
I pray that today, you will see God's awesome provision in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment