Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Facing Criticism....

As Christians, we have a choice. We can worry about what people think and follow the world's standards, or we can choose to please God.
When John and I realized God was calling us to adopt, we knew we'd face some criticism. Some people wondered why we were giving up on having biological children and others just couldn't wrap their mind around the idea of adoption a child, especially a child of another race.
The following is an exert from my journal dated February 18, 2010:

"The other day I was thinking about how I will react to people's comments and questions if we adopt from Ethiopia (regarding race). I am by no means racist, but there are cruel people in the world and we could face a lot of criticism having a "black" baby. Then I read this quote and God washed away my worries. I just cried.
"The color of love is always the same in the eyes of a child." ~Unknown
Then God brought to my mind this song from childhood: "Jesus loves the little children. All the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white. They are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world."

My prayer is that no matter what criticism John and I face, we will strive to please God and not man. That we will keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, "the author and perfecter of our faith." (Hebrews 12:2)

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." ~Galatians 1:10

No comments:

Post a Comment