Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Hopes for 2011...

I don't make New Year's Resolutions because in a month or so I have already failed at them and I end up discouraged. So for the past few years I have had a list of goals for the upcoming year and they are always realistic. I don't bother making a goal to work out everyday or to loose 10 pounds  - goals like that just stress me out. I get so obsessed with working out/loosing weight that I end up becoming a frazzled mess. My goals for the new year usually have more to do with my relationship with God - although I've been known to strive to stay up-to-date on my scrapbook (which is another thing that just stresses me out).
Anyway....I was reading Beth Moore's blog the other day and she is challenging all of her blog readers to participate in a Scripture Memory Challenge in 2011. She wants everyone who participates to memorize 24 verses in 2011. That's 2 verses each month and you get to pick verses that relate to the season of life you are facing.
I am totally digging this idea! In the past I have made goals to read my Bible more, spend more time with God, etc. This scripture memory is a new and fun way to grow closer to God in 2011. I know that my relationship with God will grow deeper as I tuck His word in my heart. As I meditate on His promises and use His word as my weapon again Satan's devious schemes.
I have already picked out my first verse. I think it's going to be my theme verse for 2011.
"Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Phil 1:6)
The reason I chose this verse is pretty simple. God has done some AMAZING things in my life in 2010. Through this adoption He has changed me. I love this verse because it promises that God will continue the good work that He has started in me. I don't want to go back to who I was before 2010. I like who God has made me. I want God to continue to work in my life and in my heart. I want to be His hands and feet. I want to be completely, fully dependent on Him. I want Him to continue to break my heart for what breaks His. I want to be willing to give up everything to follow Him. I do not want to be left unchanged in 2011.
I want to continue sharing our adoption story. I want people to see God's mighty hand in every detail. Sometimes I get so excited about what God has done (is doing) that I could just burst like an overfilled balloon. It takes all I have not to shout it from the roof tops. I want people who have never experienced God's amazing love and grace to get a taste of my awesome God.
I pray that God will continue to use our adoption story as a witness to those who desperately need to know Him.
I pray that the people in our lives who need God would see how our adoption is a reflection of God's love for them. Adoption is the heart of God.
"For He chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will." (Ephesians 1:4-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment