Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day in My Heart....

Mother’s Day is tomorrow and I’m celebrating because I already consider myself a mother. I have yet to see my children’s faces, but I already love them. It’s highly likely that at least one of them could already be born, living in an orphanage in Ethiopia. It’s almost surreal to feel so much love for little ones that you do not even know, but with every prayer uttered on their behalf and each day that brings me one day closer to them; my love for them grows and grows.


I came across something in the attic the other day. It was an assignment from my 12th grade creative writing class. We were to write a definition of a good parent. Here’s what I wrote:



“Disciplining, listing (only) when your child needs to spill their guts. Giving advice when appropriate, saying I love you, laughing with your kids, playing pretend with your kids, teaching your kids new things, cherishing every day you have with your kids, try to see your kids point of view on things, always hear their side of the story, give them space when they need it, help them when they need it (homework, college applications, etc.), reassure them when they’re scared, always let them know they can do anything if they put their 100% in to it, Don’t damper their dreams, always encourage them, have patience, make birthdays and holidays special memories they will never forget, keep a scrapbook so they can look at it, write notes and put it in different places for them (lunchbox), make them chicken noodle soup when they are sick, read to them, color with them, teach them God’s word, sing and dance with them, always be honest, violence isn’t the answer, treat people the way you would want to be treated, watch cartoons together, snuggle on rainy, cold days, bake cookies together, let them know “why” they can’t do something and don’t just say “because”, make plenty of time for just you and your child, don’t criticize, doesn’t abuse.”


Twelve years later, I laugh at several of the things on this list, but I still dream of snuggling with my babies and teaching them God’s word. There are nights when I will lay in bed and daydream about what it will be like when our babies are home. I get giddy with anticipation thinking about the moment we walk off the airplane and are greeted by friends and family who have been walking this journey with us. I can’t wait to read bedtime stories, give baths, rock and sing to my babies, take them to story time at the library, visit the zoo or to finger paint with chocolate pudding.


But more than anything, I want to lavish love upon these babies and teach them just how much God loves them. To share the story of how God knitted our family together, despite the thousands of miles that once separated us.


This Mother’s Day I will thank God for the journey He is taking us on, pray for my babies and dream about all the things on my Mommy-to-do list.


P.S. A big thank you to several sweet people who gave me Mother’s Day cards this year. It really meant a lot that you guys acknowledged that I am already a mommy in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment