Tuesday, August 16, 2011

We Must Do Something...

This morning I read that more than 29,000 Somali children under the age of 5 have already died because of the severe drought that has plagued the horn of Africa.
The faces of malnourished children stared at me from the pages of the local newspaper. 29,000 was imprinted on my mind and heart. I can't even wrap my mind around 29,000 children dead because they have no food.
As I sit with a Sonic drink and bag of cereal at my desk, children in Africa are starving. Food meant for starving Africans is being stolen and sold in markets, according to the Associated Press.
My stomach growls and I eat. Their stomach growls and they die. It's a pretty sucky world we live in. 29,000 Somali children. There are others, many others, dying as they journey to find food. Mothers having to leave their babies dead on the side of the road. Horrible people stealing food to make a profit while a baby takes its last breath.
Here's my challenge to you today. Each time your stomach growls, each time you go to take a bite of food, each time you see food, will you pray for the people in Africa who are dying, starving and being taken advantage of?
Will you consider giving a financial gift towards the relief efforts in the Horn of Africa? A friend recently shared with me how much $1 or $2 or $3 can help those in Africa get the food they need. We can all do something!

$1 = 40 meals



$25 = 1,000 meals


$50 = 2,000 meals


$250 = 10,000 meals

$500 = 20,000 meals


$1,000 = 40,000 meals


$3,000 = 120,000 meals


$6,000 = 240,000 meals
 
Here is what I am going to do. For the rest of August (possibly in to September) I will give all the proceeds from my baking business Sweet Inspirations to an organization that is providing food for the people in Africa. Please consider placing an order and supporting these precious people who desperately need our help!
 
You can place an order by e-mailing me at jmishon@gmail.com
Please help me spread the word and let's join forces for Africa. Let's pray, Let's give, Let's be the hands and feet of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment