Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Moses and the Desert Season....

There’s no doubt that John and I are experiencing one of the most exciting times in our lives, but on the flip side, I am really in a desert season. I am going through one of the saddest seasons of my life.
Last night during Bible study, after a really emotional day, God met me exactly where I needed Him to. I just love how He continues to do that.
The lesson was taught by Priscilla Shirer and was called “God’s Voice Reveals His Plan.” We studied Exodus 3:1-7. Let me try and summarize it for you.
Moses is 80-years-old and he is wandering in the desert. He is minding his own business, tending his flock of sheep when all of a sudden the angel of the Lord appeared to him amidst the flames of a burning bush. Moses noticed that the bush continued to burn, but wasn’t burning up. He thought it was interesting, so he decided to investigate. When he got closer to the bush, Moses heard God speak his name.


“Moses! Moses!” God called.


“Here I am” Moses replied.


God went on to tell Moses that He had seen the misery of His people in Egypt. He had heard their cries and was concerned about their sufferings (You don’t know how much this comforts me). God then revealed His plan: Moses would lead the Israelites out of Egypt.
There are several nuggets of wisdom we can glean from this passage about being in the desert.


1. Our God doesn’t sit on high and look down low – oh no, He gets personal. He walks right beside us. I experienced His very near presence last night when we were doing this lesson.


2. God’s plan is often uncovered while you are in the desert season of your life – I have learned this first hand. Our hearts were opened to adoption when we were faced with infertility. I cried out for God to show me HIS plan and all the doors to adoption flew open. John and I know, without a doubt, that adoption is God’s plan for our life.


3. We are equipped for God’s plan when we are in the desert: (Moses was and so are we)


Moses was:


• Equipped with dedication: he continued to do tend to his sheep, even though it probably wasn’t his dream job. He accepted that God had him in that particular position for a reason. He did the job to the best of his abilities. I can really relate to this because my heart’s desire is to be a mom. I have never dreamed of a big career and I am struggling with my desire to just be a mom. God has me at my current job for a reason. I must be dedicated to the job and trust that it is part of His ultimate plan.


• Equipped with direction: God told Moses the plan He had to send him to Pharaoh to bring the Israelites out of Egypt. God will always direct our steps to fulfill His plan for our lives. We may not always see as much of the plan as we would like to, but we can trust that God will show us just enough to take the next step.


• Equipped with destination: once again, God told Moses exactly where he would be going. He made it very clear to John and I that we were to go to Ethiopia.


4. Supernatural markers will point you to God’s plan – we should pray that God will give us an awareness of His presence during the desert seasons of our lives. We must keep our focus on God’s activity during the desert seasons and not on our circumstances.


5. Intimate Fellowship is the purpose of God’s plan – Exodus 34:14 says that God is jealous about His relationship with us.


6. God’s plan changes the course of your life – when you discover God’s plan, you better hold on tight because He is going to take you on the ride of your life. It rocks your world and you are changed. For John and me, God has plucked us out of our selfish worlds and has given us eyes to see a bigger world, in desperate need of Jesus. Glory! We are holding on tight as we prepare to travel across the world to fulfill God’s plan for our lives.


I hope that if you are walking through the desert, you will remember these tidbits. This morning as I was praying, something hit me – this desert season has a purpose – an eternal purpose. Is it fun? Nope, not really. But I wouldn’t change it for the world. I have grown closer to God and He has made me more like Him.
As I was praying, it dawned on me that God could be using my desert season to impact others who desperately need Him. John and I know several people who need to experience the amazing love of their Heavenly Father. I was overcome by emotion as I prayed. “God, if me being in the desert means that someone will come to know you as their personal savior, then I don’t want to be anywhere else. I will stay right where I’m at if it means people will see your amazing power through this difficult season I’m facing. May You be glorified.”

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer!

    I've been following your blog for a little while, and I thought I should officially introduce myself! :) My husband and I are also adopting from ET and we live in Edmond! :)

    Thank you for this post. I could relate in every way. The desert, the infertility, the overwhelming desire to be a mom, etc. etc. etc. Thank you for reminding me of the eternal purpose!

    ReplyDelete