Sunday, April 10, 2011

Adoption Hormones??

Yesterday I decided it was time to tackle the chore of cleaning out our office so that we can start preparing the nursery. Lately I have been feeling the need to "nest" and get things ready for our babes even if we still have a year or more of waiting to do.
I feel like preparing the nursery will not only keep me busy, but it's a visual reminder that we will be bringing a little one (or ones) home soon.
When you're pregnant you have all kinds of things reminding you of your soon-to-be bundle of joy - morning sickness (which I'm thankful doesn't come with adoption), a growing belly, ultrasounds, etc.
I wanted to clear out the office and bring in the crib and chair in order to start preparing our home and my heart for my future children. I want to be able to go into the nursery, sit in the chair and pray for our children and for the adoption process.
Unfortunately, guys don't seem to understand the whole "nesting" thing. John wasn't quite ready to pack up his stine collection and turn our office into baby land. His hesitation quite simply irritated the fire out of me.
Yesterday I was not very loving towards my husband. He didn't understand my craziness over the nursery and my desire to purge all of our (excuse me) crap. I sat in the middle of the office looking at all the stuff that had accumulated and was completely overwhelmed and almost guilty at all the stuff we have. John on the other hand likes to hold on to things. I go on crazy binges where I throw things our or take them to Good Will and he just can't let go. He would have been satisfied to figure out what to do with all of our junk a week or so before we left for Ethiopia. He would have thought it was cool to have a nursery decorated with collectible stines.
I'm wondering if there's such a thing as adoption hormones. If there are, mine went crazy yesterday. So much so that I threw a pile of books when John made a snide remark about my need to clear out the office and put up a crib when we are still a few weeks from being on the official Wait List.
There were a lot of tears (on my end) some yelling (from both of us because we are stubborn and hard headed) and then we decided to close the door to the office and leave the huge mess to deal with the following day.
Today after church my sweet husband decided to help me pack up all of this....

So that we could move in the crib and the chair and start planning how we will decorate the nursery. So now the "office" looks like this.....


We still need to put the crib together and I am still on the lookout for an old-fashioned dresser that I can refinish. My friend Marcia is an interior decorator and she is going to help me decorate the nursery in a very fun gender-neutral way. We will splash some paint on the walls and make this room extra special for our Missing Linck(s). This room is just a visual reminder of the family that John and I will have some day. I can't wait until I get to rock my precious Ethiopian babes in the chair or watch them play with their toys on the floor.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I totally think adoption hormones are real--at least, I have serious cases of them at times! You are so brave to be planning your nursery, I haven't been able to think that far ahead yet. Glad good ol' Uncle Sam didn't take a break--and hoping for good nows on the 1600 front!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to hear that he helped you and now you have the crib up! It's very pretty!
    I'm with you, I would love to start working on the nursery and be able to sit in there and pray for our baby.
    :)

    ReplyDelete