Monday, July 19, 2010

More than Becoming a Mother....

As you can probably tell by now, this journey is about far more than becoming a mother. It's about fulfilling the amazing plan of a loving, powerful and faithful God!
I read something very interesting in a Christian adoption book recently. The booked asked, "Why adopt?" I started thinking about the reasons why John and I were choosing to begin this adoption journey. We definitely want to be parents, but in reality, God has chosen us for this journey. It's about being obedient to Him. For me personally, adopting a child from Ethiopia is about stepping out in faith, following God's call and opening our hearts and home to a child in need of a family, love, security and hope for the future. It's a privilege!
The book went on to say (about the importance of adoption) "What if that child never heard about Jesus?" Oh how I am humbled to think that God is using John and I to ensure that a child, who might never hear about Jesus, will hear the good news of the gospel and hopefully come to know Jesus as their personal saviour. As Beth Moore would say, "Glory!!!"
You see, this adoption has far more than earthly purposes, God's eternal purposes are at stake too.
As a Christian, I have been called to "love the least of these." (Matthew 25:40). God's word says "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after the orphans and widows in their distress...." (James 1:27)
Yes, I desire to be a mommy. But more than that, my heart desires to be obedient to God and fulfill His plan for my life.
You see, I can come up with all kinds of plans for my life - I want a baby, so I thought I would get pregnant and "poof" we'd have a family. But God has better plans! I believe with all my heart that God wants to give me the desires of my heart and will bless me with a child in His perfect timing - but that's the key. It has to be in His perfect timing and in His perfect way! Sometimes He takes us on a different path then we would have chosen for ourselves.
When God was leading the Israelites out of Egypt into the Promise Land, the Bible says "God did not lead them on the road through Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said 'If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt." (Exodus 13:17-18).
In my Bible beside these verses I wrote:
"Adoption v. biological children. Sometimes God's way takes longer - but it's always better and for our best interest. God doesn't want what's "okay" for us. He wants His PERFECT will!"
I want my Promise Land...even if God has to take me down a longer, more difficult road (all the way to Ethiopia). Even if I face obstacles, I don't want to turn back to the easy way, to my way.....I want God's way!

No comments:

Post a Comment